I'm loving it so far. I have been looking forward to the class every week in the garden. This week we focused on crafting, backsourcing, and learning. Following the train of thoughts from my entrance slip, I thought backsourcing gives us a moment to reflect. However, to be really honest, when I was making the rope, I wasn't thinking about anything. I was so concentrated on making the rope, I didn't spend much time appreciating the craft. But I am by no means saying that backsourcing is bad for reflection. Instead, during the crafting time, we might not be able to think and reflect. So, we should allow some time after the craft to reflect on what we have done. Additionally, the fact that I am not thinking during crafting is also very good. I really need some time to space out from the heavy course load. That brings us back to teaching. As current society becomes more and more advanced, students need to learn more and more complicated skills. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I think that working on a crafting project will help students to regain peace of mind and have a healthier mental state.
Apart from that, I really liked the bonding experience in the class. I think this is completely off track of the class's scope, but now that I think about it, it is perfectly fine. Science education is about exploration; we should not be restricting ourselves to a small box of planned curriculum. In fact, we made a kite that can fly some distances. It is an achievement that we should not look down on.
No comments:
Post a Comment